Editorial note: If you have not yet read our Mission Statement above, please do so in order that you can put our blogs in context.
13 August 2018
“When a thousand people believe some made-up story for a month – that’s fake news. When a billion people believe it for a thousand years – that’s a religion.”
Quotation from “21 Lessons for the 21st Century” (2018) by Yuval Noah Harari (b. 1976), an Israeli historian and futurologist who teaches at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Dr Yuval’s books have been translated into 45 languages and are said to have sold more than 12 million copies. His reputation as an intellectual rock star rests on two earlier works: “Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind” (2014) and “Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow” (2016).
You might perhaps care to view some of our earlier posts. For instance:
- Why? or How? That is the question (3 Jan 2012)
- Partitocracy v. Democracy (20 July 2012)
- The shoddiest possible goods at the highest possible prices (2 Feb 2012)
- Capitalism in practice (4 July 2012)
- Ladder (21 June 2012)
- A tale of two cities (1) (6 June 2012)
- A tale of two cities (2) (7 June 2012)
- Where’s the beef? Ontology and tinned meat (31 Jan 2012)
Every so often we shall change this sample of previously published posts.