Editorial note: If you have not yet read our mission statement above, please do so in order that you can put our blogs in context.
13 March 2010
If all the year were playing holidays,
To sport would be as tedious as to work;
But when they seldom come, they wished-for come.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 1, Scene 2, line 226 (line count varies with edition). William Shakespeare.
LESS IS MORE
Are the Swiss human?
By a two-thirds majority in a referendum on Sunday 11 March Swiss citizens voted down a trade union proposal to raise the minimum statutory annual paid holiday from four weeks to six. The stakhanovite no vote carried the day in each of Switzerland’s 26 cantons.
Expect no let-up then in the production of cuckoo clocks.
You might perhaps care to view some of our earlier posts. For instance:
1. Why? or How? That is the question (3 Jan 2012)
2. Das Vierte Reich/The Fourth Reich (6 Feb 2012)
3. The shoddiest possible goods at the highest possible prices (2 Feb 2012)
4. Where’s the beef? Ontology and tinned meat (31 Jan 2012)
5. What would Gandhi have said? (30 Jan 2012)
Every so often we shall change this sample of previously published posts.