Editorial note: If you have not yet read our mission statement above, please do so in order that you can put our blogs in context.
5 July 2012
What the bourgeosie….produces, above all, is its own grave-diggers. Its fall and the victory of the proletariat are equally inevitable.
This passage, at the end of Part I of the Communist Manifesto, is usually attributed to Karl Marx (and Friedrich Engels). However, Marx was an intelligent man and would never have predicted precisely the contrary of what has turned out to be the case. This is clearly a joke. We have it on good authority that the author was not Karl but Groucho Marx.
You might perhaps care to view some of our earlier posts. For instance:
1. Why? or How? That is the question (3 Jan 2012)
2. Das Vierte Reich/The Fourth Reich (6 Feb 2012)
3. The shoddiest possible goods at the highest possible prices (2 Feb 2012)
4. Where’s the beef? Ontology and tinned meat (31 Jan 2012)
5. What would Gandhi have said? (30 Jan 2012)
Every so often we shall change this sample of previously published posts.