Editorial note: If you have not yet read our mission statement above, please do so in order that you can put our blogs in context.
4 January 2013
Representative democracy is a contradiction in terms. The representatives in question represent not the demos but themselves. They represent not the will of the people but their own self-interest. Public service is a euphemism for personal ambition. The candidate on the hustings promises the earth. Once he/she is elected, the promises are quietly forgotten – until three months before the next election when they are wheeled out again. And the people fall for it every time.
You might perhaps care to view some of our earlier posts. For instance:
1. Why? or How? That is the question (3 Jan 2012)
2. Partitocracy v. Democracy (20 July 2012)
3. The shoddiest possible goods at the highest possible prices (2 Feb 2012)
4. Capitalism in practice (4 July 2012)
5.Ladder (21 June 2012)
6. A tale of two cities (1) (6 June 2012)
7. A tale of two cities (2) (7 June 2012)
8. Where’s the beef? Ontology and tinned meat (31 Jan 2012)
Every so often we shall change this sample of previously published posts.