Editorial note: If you have not yet read our mission statement above, please do so in order that you can put our blogs in context.
2 January 2014
The universe has existed for about 14 billion years.
The sun and its planets, including the earth, have existed for about 4.5 billion years.
Life on earth has existed for about 3.5 billion years.
Homo sapiens, the new kid 0n the block, has been around for perhaps half a million years.
Some 12 000 years ago hunter-gatherers began to domesticate wild animals.
Settled agriculture started around 10 000 years ago.
Yesterday the earth’s conventional time clock moved forward a year from 2013 to 2014 – fireworks exploding around the globe in celebration – counting from the birth of a preacher just over 2000 years ago in Palestine.
You might perhaps care to view some of our earlier posts. For instance:
1. Why? or How? That is the question (3 Jan 2012)
2. Partitocracy v. Democracy (20 July 2012)
3. The shoddiest possible goods at the highest possible prices (2 Feb 2012)
4. Capitalism in practice (4 July 2012)
5.Ladder (21 June 2012)
6. A tale of two cities (1) (6 June 2012)
7. A tale of two cities (2) (7 June 2012)
8. Where’s the beef? Ontology and tinned meat (31 Jan 2012)
Every so often we shall change this sample of previously published posts.