Editorial note: If you have not yet read our mission statement above, please do so in order that you can put our blogs in context.
21 March 2012
IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT
….when one is awake at 3 a.m. then one sees life, and death, as they truly are, in their stark, terrible, hopeless reality; that at all other times of day one sees these infinite things through rose-tinted spectacles; that everyday life is the delusion is the occupational opiate which deceives us into optimistic speculation.
James Lees-Milne (1908-1997), English diarist. Extract from the entry in his diary for 7 July 1972.
You might perhaps care to view some of our earlier posts. For instance:
1. Why? or How? That is the question (3 Jan 2012)
2. Das Vierte Reich/The Fourth Reich (6 Feb 2012)
3. The shoddiest possible goods at the highest possible prices (2 Feb 2012)
4. Where’s the beef? Ontology and tinned meat (31 Jan 2012)
5. What would Gandhi have said? (30 Jan 2012)
Every so often we shall change this sample of previously published posts.